Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of Frame Relay DLCIs supported on VIP cards

etamara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco 7500 router with an HSSI interface ( PA-H ) within a VIP2-40 card. The interface is configured with 380 frame relay point-to-point subinterfaces, and the figure is expected to grow in the future. I´ve been checking any info regarding practical limits for Frame Relay subinterfaces supported on an interface or VIP card.

What I´ve found is that the theoretical 1000 DLCIs ( coming from the DLCI address space ) is not possible due to MTU limitations ( LMI status updates must include info regarding all DLCIs ), which for an HSSI interface implies a lower limit of 890 DLCIs.

However, some notes indicate further restrictions depending on features, performance requirements and so on.

Since we are using dLLQ + dTS for each point-to-point subinterface, I guess the practical limit is even lower. Does anybody know, from your personal experience, anything about this?

Thanks,

Enrique

1 Reply 1

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Enrique

This could help: "Maximum Number of Interfaces and Subinterfaces for Cisco IOS Platforms: IDB Limits"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

This document tells you about maximum number interfaces based on hardware/software configurations.

HTH