Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum recommended bandwitdh usage for 100 Mbps links

s.debenito
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

A co-worker told me yesterday that the maximum recommended bandwidth usage for a 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet link is only 30%. I think that is too low.

Who is right?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

s.debenito
Level 1
Level 1

By the way, I mean 100 Mbps on a switched interface.

Regards,

Sergio.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would flatly disagree with that , you can run a full duplex link probably to 80-90% without a problem . This used to be the limit on old 10 meg half duplex hubs . Above 30% you would start to see a fast drop off in performance.

Hi Glen,

Thank you very much for your answer. I supposed 30% was an extremely low value.

Last question: what would be the recommended value for an 100 Mbps Ethernet network? I mean for a VLAN segment for example.

Thanks again Glen.

Regards,

Sergio.

Sergio,

As such you can make any number of vlans as suported on the switch and depends on your whole N/W design or requirement. You can have as many clients/host in a particular Vlan and you wont see any performance impact unless you have a host whihc is generatiing real bad traffic like broadcast or any host with bad NIC.

revert if you more questions.

regards

-amit singh

Hi again,

So, I could have a switched network that is being used all the time at about 70-80% (with normal user traffic) of its maximum bandwidth, and the network won't be degradated at all.

Right?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: