Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Maximum throughput of serial interfaces

I know that serial interfaces might differ in their maximum throughput, but I have not any numbers. Can anybody give me the numbers for

- asynchronous/synchronous interfaces (NM and WIC)

- synchronous interfaces (NM and WIC)

- smart serial interfaces

Thanks in advance

Edgar

1 REPLY

Re: Maximum throughput of serial interfaces

Edgar,

This really is one of those "it depends" answers. Smart serial isn't really an interface type - it's a connector type. I have only ever seen it on the WIC cards. I'm fairly cerain that the WIC-1T and WIC-2T serial interfaces run up to 2.048 Mbps. You have to be careful on the NM style of interfaces. The cards generally have an overall aggregate throughput limitation. So the port density dictates what share of bandwidth per port is. For example, the NM-4T has an aggregate throughput of 8 Mbps. You can dedicate that to one port or divide it up in 2 Mbps portions for each of the four ports. When you get to the asynchronous/syncrounous modules, you have to be especially carefull. If configured for synchronous operation, the max port speed is 128 kpbs. The async limit is 115.2 kbps.

I guess you just need to search for the specs on CCO for the module you think you are interested in.

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content