Views
Helpful
Replies

MDIX between 3550 and 3750

CSCO10235163
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a connection problem between a 3750 IOS 12.2 and a 3550 IOS 12.1. I'm using a straight cable and configured MDIX on 3750 end, setting speed to 'auto' as indicated by documentation. There's no way of making it working. Do you know any issue related to MDIX on the interconnection of different switches?

Do I need same IOS train release on both?

Thanks

Chiara

1 Reply 1

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Chiara,

3750 supports MDIX but 3550 doesnot support MDIX. the port on 3750 is capable to recognizing any type of cable i.e staright through or cross-ssover and will changle polarity accordingle while 3550 doesbot support auto MDIX so it is still looking for a cross-over cable at its end. If you have 2 3750's with MDIX support then you can use straight through cable for connecting the switches and it will work. Try enabling auto-mdix on 2 of the ports of the 3750 and do a loopback on the ports and you should get a light on the 3750 ports. This will show that auto-mdix feature is wprking on it.

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: