cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

memory allocation error

altafshaikh
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting memory allocation error trap from cisco works : here is the error messge:

test%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: memory allocation of 381 bytes failed from 0x605155F4, pool processor. alignment 0.

I tried to telned to router but it will not let me telnet. I can ping the router. Should i reboot the router???

Thanks

4 Replies 4

kthanuva
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shaikh,

please send some more information....which platform you are having? which IOS ?Connect the console to the router and try to login..

Regards

kiruba

agnelo
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like you may have a memory leak or IOS bug. Try changing the IOS.

Agnelo Dcunha

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

The box is up and is most likely functioning properly. I would have the box power cycled when you will not have any disruption to users, power cycling the box is the only way to free up the memory that is not being released . I would then monitor the box for additional occurances of this problem , It may only be a one time event. An IOS upgrade may open up a whole new can of worms.

If this is a 2600 0r 3600 series router you can alloacate additional memory to the processor pool by using the ' memory-size iomem xx ' command

I power cycled the 3640 and i am not getting any error. I will monitor to see if there is a problem again. Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: