Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Memory requirements for BGP

I'm looking into setting up a router that should advertise routes via ebgp-multihop to a number of other routers (could be as many as 1000). This one router will not recieve routes via ebgp and will not route data. What would be the miminum requirement for memory or how much (DRAM) memory is a BGP session using ? Also I would like to use a 3620 routers if possible at all...

3 REPLIES

Re: Memory requirements for BGP

I cannot say the minimum requirements, but I can tell you, that if you don't accept any routes via EBGP, and only will hold around 1000 prefixes in memory, your memory requirements won't be much. Using a C3620 will do the job, and I would setttle for 32-64Mb DRAM, depending on which IOS feature set you're planning on using.

/Henrik Johansson

GlobeCom Network AB

Sweden, Europe

Gold

It depends on the number of routes, really.... If this is a full internet routing table, you won't get by with a 3600 series, you'll probably need a 7200 series. If it's less than this, about 1000 routes, then you should be able to get by with 128MB or so, I would think.

Russ

For experience, we have configured an 7513 router with full internet routing and near to 110000 routes in use, only we are using almost 90MB of memory. I guess with 64MB is enough, consider the IOS version and Router extra use of memory. Best Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies