cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mica modem data echo off

daniel.kline
Level 1
Level 1

How can I turn off data echo on an AS5300 mica modem? The AT E0 command turns off command echo, but there appears to be no data echo off command, such as the F1 command on a usr sportster modem.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

dan

6 Replies 6

daniel.kline
Level 1
Level 1

I found the \E0 command, which turns off data echo on the mica modem. According to the documentation this is an AT command and has to be entered through a reverse telnet session, which I did and it worked.

What I'm not quite sure of, and will have to experiment with, is whether once you have entered an AT command will it be persistent or have to reinitialized each time the access sever is rebooted. If it must be reinitialized, can the AT commands simply be entered into the init string along with the S commands? For instance, if I want the modem to answer immediately, turn data echo off, and set the max connect rate to 9600, could I write the init string as A0\E0S30=9600? Or do I have to precede the AT commands with AT in the init string?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

actually all commands in your init string are AT commands. If you need to prepend AT (to the entire string, never to every individual command) depends on how you use the init string. In a chat script, you will need to put "ATA0\E0S30=9600", e.g.

chat-script STARTSCRIPT "" "ATA0\E0S30=9600" \c

line x y

script startup STARTSCRIPT

Other commands may require you to omit the AT, e.g when creating a modemcap entry (with the "modemcap edit" command).

hth

Herbert

Thanks, Herbert. So something like this, modemcap edit msc=&FS0=0S30=9600&C1&D2&H1&R2&B1&M4&K1&M0&K0\E0, as a modemcap entry should work. I want the settings to be reapplied each time the access server is rebooted. Chat script settings aren't persistent, are they?

I'm trying to take the built-in modemcap, usr_sportster, which I know works for this particular application, and modify a few of the settings: answer immediately (S0), max connect speed 9600 bps (S30=9600), and data echo off (\E0). The remainder of the settings are are standard settings in this init string for the US Robotics Sportster.

Regards,

Dan

If you configure a line with the "script startup" command, the script will be executed each time the router is (re)booted. There are other "script " commands that execute scripts at other times.

Regarding the modemcap edit command, my BCRAN course says it should be something like

modemcap edit NAME template usr_sportster

modemcap edit NAME miscellaneous &FS0=0S30=9600&C1&D2&H1&R2&B1&M4&K1&M0&K0\E0

line x y

modem autoconfigure NAME

but I admit I have no practical experience with this.

hth

Herbert

Once you connect its the host at the other end thats doing the data echo, not the modem. If you are seeing double characters its because the app at your end is doing local copy.

I reverse telnetted into the access server and issued the \E0 command and the data echo stopped. Now with data echo off, I want to ensure that it doesn't get turned back on when/if the access server gets rebooted.

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: