Views
Helpful
Replies

microsoft ping reponse time?

zhichao
Level 1
Level 1

hello

Does anyone know how microsoft implments the ping? Some OS (windowsxp) shows good reponse time of <1ms,

but I remember some other OS always shows <10ms.

What does this <10ms mean? is it better than =4ms?

thanks

5 Replies 5

Hello,

The standard ping program of Windows 9x, NT and 2000 calculates somewhat inaccurate timings. Windows XP does a better job. Due to the scheduling of the processes under Windows the timings are often different (because of the wakeup time necessary for the sleeping process). Using the localhost and the parameter -d 0, there is no delay between the ping, so the responses are faster because the program have a different scheduling (no sleep at all).

I guess Microsoft has realized the (relative) inaccuracy of the PING program and improved it in XP, where response times under 10ms (<10ms) are now reported accurately. So the fact that you see response times <1ms is simply related to improved software in XP.

HTH,

GP

hi, thanks

Actually the problem we faced is that the user claims before migration, the ping reply was normally 2,3ms... Now after migration, the ping becomes'<10ms'. They suspect the network becoming slower.

I want to find some paper to show them this is actually a performance improvement.

regards

Hello,

there is a utility called tping which lets you ping hosts and displays response times in milliseconds below 10. Here is where you can download it (go to the bottom of the page and download tpoin1.09.zip file):

http://andreaplanet.com/tping/

HTH,

GP

nayyarh
Level 1
Level 1

<10ms means less than 10 milliseconds ..... u really cant say cos 4ms is still less than 10ms....

Thats why we want to find out how microsoft implements it.

Why sometimes it shows 4ms, but sometimes it shows <10ms. How does the windows decide when to show <10ms instead of 4ms?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: