cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration of users in different vlans of 3750 Switches

peguayapero
Level 1
Level 1

I have 30 switches of access (3750). I require To migrate 1200 users connected to this switches of vlan 1 (172.23.8.0 /22) to vlan 2 (172.23.52.0 /22). They changed in server DHCP the rank 172.23.8.0 /22 to 172.23.52.0 /22. ¿In this case the only solution is to change the ports of switches of vlan 1 to vlan 2?. Can i configure 2 vlans in the ports of switches 3750?. What you recommend to make this migration in the efficient form?

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

I would suggest u to use VTP i.e if u create the new vlan on the vtp server it is going to be propagated to all switches in the VTP domain.And where r all these vlans are terminating i mean where is the SVI for this vlan create a SVi for this vlan and assign it a DHCP HELPER-ADDRESS user it.then as u change the vlan ports on the switches they are going to get the ip address form the range u specified.

Thanks

Mahmood

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

No you cannot make a port part of 2 vlans. What really you can od is to use the range command and assign all the ports that you want from vlan 1 to vlan 2 on every switch.

conf t

interface range gig 0/1/0 - 12

switchport access vlan 2

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12225sed/cr/cli1.htm#wp2235379

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

ycae
Level 1
Level 1

well you could use the command interface range fastehternet 0/1 - 48 (change the command according to your ports) and then execute the switchport access vlan 2 command.

Like this all the ports will be changed in one shot. When to do it.....well during a weekend.

The biggest problem is see is that the workstations have to get a new IP address from DHCP after the migration so i suggest that you put the lease expiration to one day. Like this all the workstations will ask for a new ip address every day and after the change to vlan 2 they will ask an ip and everybody will have connectivity and it should be transparent for the user than.

FYI A switch port can always only belong to a single vlan or it has to be a trunk port to support multiple vlans what is not recommended in your situation.

Yves

rate this post if it helped

Yves

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: