Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MiLAN converter problem? 2950G incompatibility?

Hi there, here's whats happening.

I've a new 2950G switch, with a new fibre gbic in slot 1. A working mmf fibre pair (3 metres) is connected to this. This is, in turn, connected to a new MiLAN 6113 SX media converter.

By way of testing, I've connected a server with a gigabit nic and a working cat5e cable to the UTP port of the converter.

The problem I'm having is: I just cannot get a link on the 2950G via the converter.

I've tested the following:

-'loopback', by connecting the rx and tx ports on the gbic via the same fibre strand. This detected a link straight away, then, as expected, closed it when the keepalive packet was detected.

-While doing the loopback test, I've alternated the fibre strand to check both fibres are good. Works ok, loopback is detected.

-The converter shows the following info:

->power on.

->fibre side shows 'link' light.

->copper side shows '1000', 'lnk/act', and 'fdx/col' lights.

BTW, I've updated IOS to 12.1 (19)

Other findings:

Interestingly, the console on the switch does not flag anything when the fibre gbic is inserted, although it does when a copper one is inserted. Strange. The cisco chap I spoke to about it said this was nothing to worry about.

'SH INT STATUS' shows '1000 BASE SX' in slot g0/1.

'SH INT G0/1' does not show anything 'new' when the gbic is inserted than when its removed.

I really cant think of anything else I can test/check- anyone have any ideas?

Thanks-

0r8it

Views
Helpful
Replies