Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Mini Lab Help

Hey guys, I have two 2600's, 1 with (1) CSU/DSU and (1) Fast Ethernet port, and the other just has (2) FastEthernet ports. I'm in the process of getting (2) serial port modules for both of them, along with the required DTE/DCE cable. I have a good *general* knowledge of the routers, but I need assistance with the *ins and outs*. Can I get a little help with setting these up and maybe adding them onto our LAN, or am asking for too much? I apologize in advance if I am. Thanks guys.

5 REPLIES

Re: Mini Lab Help

We would be happy to help you set them up. What specifically do you want to do with them?

Steve

What I'd like to do is configure both routers (a 2620 with a WIC-1DSU T1 and FastEthernet port and a 2621 with two FastEthernet ports) and a 2900 switch as sort of a mini Lab that I eventually would like to bring on to our LAN. I'm in the process of obtaining two serial interfaces for the routers which I believe would also allow me to make it it's own little network segment.

Thank you in advance for your help Steve, I really appreciate it.

To get the routers communicating, connect each routers ethernet port to a switch port. Set the switch to be a vtp server or transparent (set vtp domain ...), make sure not connected to rest of network if server. Set the vlans on the switch to be the same, like vlan 2. Use the command set vlan 2 2/1-2 (if its a set based switch - catalyst OS). Set the switch sc0 interface to an IP that the routers ethernet interfaces will be on, eg 10.0.0.1 (set int sc0 2 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0). Set the routers ethernet interface IPs 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 (ip add 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0).

Hardcode the speed of the router interface and switch (set port speed 2/1-2 100, set port duplex 2/1-2 full), good habit to get into.

Then you can start playing with the switch and routers, eg routing protocols, plugging PCs into the switch, port security etc.

Hope thats what you were looking for.

Steve

Wow! Thanks! I'll try this later on today!

I had been trying rocket science prior to this, so hopefully this simplified way will do the trick!

Hey Steve, thanks for the advice. I did a variation of what you suggested. I used the T1 CSU/DSU port on the 2620 as my "WAN" connection to mimic a WAN environment. Then grabbed two WIC-1T's off of eBay and setup the interfaces. I'm using static routing tables to get the various "networks" to talk to each other. I'm having a little trouble pinging past the CSU/DSU, but I'm in the process of troubleshooting that. Again, thanks for the advice, and hope this helps anyone else there!

Views
Helpful
Replies