Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Minimum hardware requirement for SP Net Mgmt Lab

Hello All. I'm setting up a lab with the following applications, for training purposes:

CEMF 3.2 and EMS for GSR 12000 v. 3.1.1 and 7600 routers v. 3.0)

CNS C-Note (Notification Engine) v. 3.0

CNS Performance Engine v. 2.0

CNS Netflow Collection Engine v. 4.0

VPN Solutions Center v. 2.2

Cisco Infocenter v. 3.4.1

Anybody knows the absolute minimum hardware requirements (RAM, CPU, etc) for the Solaris servers to install these applications? (one at a time at different times in the servers, except for the 3 CNS apps that should be installed in the same server at the same time). I know the requirements for a production environment, as specified in CCO, but there should be fewer requirements for a lab environment

Any hint is appreciated

Thanks !

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Minimum hardware requirement for SP Net Mgmt Lab

This is the setup I've used in the past for lab work and testing:

CEMF 3.2 with C12k Mananger/VPNSC - Ultra 60 296Mhz, 1 Gig of memory and 1 9gig drive with 2 gig used for swap.(1 machine for each)

All CNS Software and Cisco InfoCenter - Ultra 10 440Mgz, 1 Gig of memory with 1 9gig drive with 2 gig used for swap. (1 machine for each)

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot. My research shows that some of the applications are disk intensive, and so having 2 disks will make performance better. This is a training class, so fast is important to fulfill all objectives in time. Any comment?

Thanks again !

Silver

Regarding the Cisco Info Center, it really depends on how much traffic you're going to send to it and how big you expect the memory resident database to grow, as well as, what modules of the suite you intend to install. A lab environment tends to require much less then production. I run Cisco Info Center at my desk on a Sun Blade 150 with 2 gig of RAM. I use simulators to generate a number of different event types. I don't have Webtop installed, but I could as well without difficulty. I would recommend upgrading to the latest version of Cisco Info Center 3.6. There are many significant changes from 3.4.1.

Thanks for your reply. This is for a training class, so we don't expect more than a couple of devices sending traps to CNote and then CNOte forwarding them to Infocenter in a controlled lab environment. The same devices will be monitored by VPN Solutions Center, and VPN service info in small amounts (again, it's a lab) will be sent to Infocenter's Policy Manager.

Can you comment on the simulators? Can you recommend any?

Thanks for the recommendation on version 3.6. Great stuff !

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content