cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixing DTE & DCE on PA-8T-V35

p-dionne
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7606 router with a PA-8T-V35 port adapter. This comes with the octal cable, in this case it is the DTE octal cable. I need some of the ports to be DCE and some to be DTE. According to CCO, the interface is all one way or all the other. Can I mix and match DTE & DCE on the same PA-8T-V35, and if so, is it simply a matter of configuring "frame-relay intf-type dce" and using a gender-changer cable, or is there more to it than that?

1 Reply 1

ckossmey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, the wiring within the cable determines whether or not it's DTE/DCE. The "frame-relay intf-type dce" command you mention only affects the layer 2 behavior of the interface (tells the serial interface to act as a frame-relay dce and respond to LMI packets) and does not affect the layer 1 behavior.

A gender-changer won't help you here, it's the way the octal cable is built that determines whether the interface is DTE or DCE. It *may* be possible to build a custom cable to address this, but I'm quite sure it won't be worth the hassle and/or money invested.

Regards,

Clay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: