Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Mixing DTE & DCE on PA-8T-V35

I have a 7606 router with a PA-8T-V35 port adapter. This comes with the octal cable, in this case it is the DTE octal cable. I need some of the ports to be DCE and some to be DTE. According to CCO, the interface is all one way or all the other. Can I mix and match DTE & DCE on the same PA-8T-V35, and if so, is it simply a matter of configuring "frame-relay intf-type dce" and using a gender-changer cable, or is there more to it than that?

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Mixing DTE & DCE on PA-8T-V35

Unfortunately, the wiring within the cable determines whether or not it's DTE/DCE. The "frame-relay intf-type dce" command you mention only affects the layer 2 behavior of the interface (tells the serial interface to act as a frame-relay dce and respond to LMI packets) and does not affect the layer 1 behavior.

A gender-changer won't help you here, it's the way the octal cable is built that determines whether the interface is DTE or DCE. It *may* be possible to build a custom cable to address this, but I'm quite sure it won't be worth the hassle and/or money invested.

Regards,

Clay

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content