cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MLS agingtime for Cat6509

gilson_machado
Level 1
Level 1

I am preparing a new switch to connect to a production one (both Cat6509 are in Hybrid mode).

The MSFC2s are running 'mls rp ip" the production one has the command "set mls agingtime ipx 0" for the SUP2. I could not use the same command on the new Cat6509 SUP2. It only accepts "set mls agintime ipx 1". Is there any way to have both SUP2 with the same command? I am running an IP only network. Is that better to have "agintime IP"? Is it making any good to have the "set mls agingtime ipx 0" in the CAt6509 production box?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

The "set mls agingtime" is the entry aging time for each protocol (IP and IPX) applies to all protocol-specific NetFlow table entries. Any entry that has not been used for agingtime seconds is aged out. The default is 256 seconds (12 seconds for Supervisor Engine 720).

So the command applies only if you are using Netflow Data export. Otherwise, ignore the command.

Remember on the sup2 the CEF based Hardware table and the Netflow tables are handled by different asics. So

changing the mls agingtime on a sup2 does not change the cef based hardware that is used to route traffic. It does change the netflow table which is used for statistical purposes.

Reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801dd6a1.html#74202

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

The "set mls agingtime" is the entry aging time for each protocol (IP and IPX) applies to all protocol-specific NetFlow table entries. Any entry that has not been used for agingtime seconds is aged out. The default is 256 seconds (12 seconds for Supervisor Engine 720).

So the command applies only if you are using Netflow Data export. Otherwise, ignore the command.

Remember on the sup2 the CEF based Hardware table and the Netflow tables are handled by different asics. So

changing the mls agingtime on a sup2 does not change the cef based hardware that is used to route traffic. It does change the netflow table which is used for statistical purposes.

Reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801dd6a1.html#74202