Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MLS Cache on a 5505

In the following doco

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps679/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007fac8.html#24533

Cisco mentions the following:

"The maximum MLS cache size is 128K. However, an MLS cache larger than 32K increases the probability that a flow will not be switched by the MLS-SE and will get forwarded to the router."

What is the command i use to see how much of the 128K cache i'm actually using? (I want to find out if i'm approaching the 32K mark or not)

I thought SHOW MLS ENTRY would tell me that info, but it doesn't appear to.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES

Re: MLS Cache on a 5505

Mark

Search the document on the URL you provided for this section:

"Specifying IP MLS Fast Aging Time and Packet Threshold Values"

The 32k is a reference to the number of entries in the cache. Flow Mask Mode and aging time settings affect the number of entries.

You should be able to see the number of entries by typing SHOW MLS at the prompt. Do another search in the document for "Displaying IP MLS Information" and you will see the following output:

Console> (enable) show mls

Multilayer switching enabled

Multilayer switching aging time = 256 seconds

Multilayer switching fast aging time = 0 seconds, packet threshold = 1

Destination-ip flow

Total packets switched = 101892

Active entries = 2153

Netflow data export enabled

Netflow data export configured for port 8010 on host 10.0.2.15

Total packets exported = 20

MLS-RP IP MLS-RP ID Xtag MLS-RP MAC-Vlans

The active entries (2153) are what you are looking for. Monitor the number of entries on your own switch and adjust the aging times if you want to maintain the cache for longer periods. You would rather switch than route packets and a higher number of active entries equates to less routed traffic. This process is most efficient if the active entries do not exceed 32000.

Hope this helps.

Re: MLS Cache on a 5505

Thanks for that. That clears things up.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content