Views
Helpful
Replies

MLS not needed with MSFC2 & PFC2?

abatson
Level 1
Level 1

The following appears in a Cisco Whitepaper:

Note: The Catalyst 6500 and 6000 MSFC2 with PFC2 (Supervisor Engine 2) and Supervisor Engine 720 with MSFC3 perform L3 switching using Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF) and do not require MLS internally. They do not support external MLS (MLS-RP).

Does this mean that I can remove all config lines beginning with "mls" from the config in my MSFC2 with PFC2? --As long as I have CEF enabled globally, and an all interfaces?

--Alex

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is correct , you don't need those statements on any 6500 . MLS is on by default and nothing is needed on the earlier codes that still run mls. The newer codes use strictly CEf as their switching mechanism. Don't believe you can even turn CEF off on the new codes .

Thanks for your info. FYI for the group, I'm running on catOS 6.3(5) (soon to be moved to 7.6(5). and IOS on the MSFC is 12.1(11)bE4, soon to be moved to 12.1(20)E2

-Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: