cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modem to 2620 console port

chad.howard
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone know how to setup Hyperterm or Absolute Telnet to dial into a US Robotics that is connected to a 2620 router console port?

The Cisco doc just gives modem strings to put into the USR modem. The company who manages our routers can dial in and get a prompt without any additional config of the modem.

When I dial in I get a handshake from the modem and it says "connected" but no router prompt. I have the session set for the standard 9600 and no flow control.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

4 Replies 4

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

The 26xx console supports upto 115.2 kbps...can you try dialing in with the hyperterm set to 115200.

Thanks, Mak.

Gave it a shot, no luck.

Am I missing the most basic info? I've tried setting Hyperterm to use my PC modem directly, and I've tried setting it to COM3 (com port for my PC modem) and using the atdt command. In either case it says "Connected 115200" but no router prompt.

I've tried different connection speeds, different flow control settings and different emulation settings (Auto detect, TTY, VT100, etc.).

Once connected should I automatically get the prompt, or do I have to enter certain keystrokes? Sorry for such basic questions but my Cisco and Internet searches are short on details.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Chad

I found out the folks who manage our router connect to an access router (something like an AS5200) and it dials into our modem on the router.

Might their access router be sending certain init strings to the modem, or otherwise doing some additional negotiation with the router?

Just a thought...

chad.howard
Level 1
Level 1

Answer :

It turned out to be different AT commands for the Xircom credit card modem I was using.

With Hyperterm (or whatever you like to use), connect to your modem on the COM port its using. Type AT and make sure you get an "ok" prompt. Then type ATS37=9 . This will set the Xircom to 9600 baud. Now type ATDT . Press again when connected and you should get a router prompt.

Chad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: