Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

modems

Can anyone tell me the difference between a modem and router, on my adsl router, it says built in modem, is a modem for single pc use only ? also is a cisco BRI 0 interface an isdn modem ?

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: modems

For technical terms a modem is short for modulator/demodulator and it functions as a back door access to devices. It is an out of band utility to access a device to control it or perform diagnostics... A router is a device that has a job of interogating its routing table and forwrding packets out of its interfces based upon what it knows from its routing table... For your Adsl the built in modem is for external out of band access by probbly the vendor or yourself..Only one person can access the modem at one time. The Isdn BRI can be dialed into from a modem. That is usually that is the fashion for dial in on an ISDN PRI line for remote access...

thanks for the reply, so what could i do with my built in modem on my routr, do some isp's require this ?

If your router has, say an ADSL modem built in, then you can connect to an ADSL service provider.

Router is a device that routes packets.

Modems are typically devices to connect to a service provider.

Is this for connections that require dial up ? here some connections are always on, so does the modem just dial the isp ? Also do Isdn pri's and bri's take normal dialup connections or do they have to be isdn, at work I can reach my isdn pri via dial up at home and I only have a normal pstn line here , why is this ?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content