cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Monitoring Catalyst Switch (MIB issue)

Hello,

I am trying to monitor Catalyst WS-C3750G-24TS-E switches with Openview NNM. Before being able to do this, I have of course to import the MIB in Openview in order to interprete the traps, MIB entries,... that I get from/look at the switch.

In the Management part of the datasheet of the switch, there is a list of about 20 MIB's, does this mean that I have to import all these MIBs in NNM in order to be able to monitor the switch??

(I have the same issue also for Catalyst WS-4506 Chassis, WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 48x10/100/1000T ports blade an for the loadbalancer CSS11501, but probably the response for the catalyst will respond also the questions)

Best regards

CB

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Monitoring Catalyst Switch (MIB issue)

Any monitoring system that uses SNMP to gather data, queries with a GETRequest to the SNMP agent. The actual MIBs reside in the agent with the management system having definitions of MIBs and when the info is returned, the manager uses these definition files to identifying what values has been returned.

Re: Monitoring Catalyst Switch (MIB issue)

Thanx for your reply.

In fact, the core functionning of SNMP traps, requests is clear for me, perhaps I was not clear enough on that :-). What I need to know is if importing a single MIB allows me to interpret all the information that I get from the switch(all the traps and gets) or do I need to import all the MIBs that are indicated in the whitepaper. I could imagine that most of the MIBs contain redundant information so there would be no need in importing them all, but I am not sure on this point.

Thanx

CB

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content