Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Monitoring My Routers

Hello,

I was thrown into the Network admin position here at Deerfield.com and I have not had a lot of work with Cisco routers. I had my first crash course when we switched our routers out. Now I am pretty familiar with the interface and functionality, but what I need now is something to monitor traffic by port and ip. I have MRTG in place and running, but that does not give me the in depth information that I need. Is it possible for either the router to log this, or for another program to monitor the router for this type of access?

Thanks,

Nathan Landrum

Dns2Go Systems Engineer

Deerfield.com

4 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Monitoring My Routers

There are other application for this, but may not be free ware like MRTG. You can look into CW2000 bundle which has applications like CiscoView and nGenius RTM which can be used.

Hello,

I searched for the CW2000 and all the prices I am coming up with are $9000 plus. Am I searching for the right software? I just need to know that this is the right way of searching for it.

Thanks

Nathan Landrum

cwu

If you have Netflow Switching on your router you can export the Netflow data to an external collection box periodically and generate reports off-line. Cisco has software (Netflow Collector and Analyzer) but there are free versions of the collector as well. I wasn't happy with the NF Analyzer portion so I built my own reporting tools in perl.

Another option (if you can "tap" into the link you're interested in) is to run argus on a unix box. Argus is free but you may have to jump through a few hoops to build it, depending on what OS you build it on. It is very similar to tcpdump but doesn't actually capture the packet payload - it only reports on the size of the payload. Again, you'll have to build your own reporting tools.

A disadvantage of both of these approaches, since they're based on the concept of a "network flow", is that each "record" may actually consist of a number of packets, so it's hard to tell who is the source and who is the destination. You can generally figure this out by looking at the (TCP) ports but that's no guarantee.

Can't comment on nGenius 'cause I've never used it, but CiscoView is useless for automated gathering of data from any number of devices. It will generate pretty maps and graphs but you have to be sitting in front of it all the time.

When your dealing with your network don't be cheap or you will pay the CiscoWorks bundle ist's nice. I f you get the cw2000 bundle nGenius comes with it. Also Capacity planner and rtm from netscout are real nice. If you need additional help contack me.

Views
Helpful
Replies