Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

monitoring routers

I have some network monitoring software to use at work, Do I need to install or set up anything on my routers etc so I can monitor them, i.e how to I configure snmp on the device, what do the traps do ? and how and where do I install the MIBS ?

thanks a million

8 REPLIES

Re: monitoring routers

Send your traps to your logging server and the device specific mibs need to be able to be understood by your monitoring device.

Patrick

So what do I need to do in this case, is there any config needed on the routers ? and do I install the mibs on my monitoring software ?

can anyone help on this ?

thanks

can anyone help on this ?

thanks

Look at this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a05.shtml

Don't forget to hope this help and rate this post.

Look at this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a05.shtml

Don't forget to hope this help and rate this post.

Hi There, thanks for the post, I am a little unclear from this document, I just want to monitor bandwidth on the interfaces and send this to my snmp server ? Can anyone tell me how to do this ?

thanks

Hall of Fame Super Silver

What "snmp server" are you using? If it is capable of monitoring bandwidth utliization, you may or may not have to load MIBs on it - there are both generic MIBs and Cisco-specific ones that provide varying degrees of fucntionality.

A general purpose monitor such a SolarWinds can just be pointed to your target devices, given the snmp ro passwords and, assuming the devices have snmp enabled, will start monitoring and reporting the utilization.

If you have a more stripped down product like one of the open source distributions, you may need to do more work in setting it up, loading MIBs, creating target directories, etc.

Traps are only necessary if you want to alert an operator or process that the device itself is encountering a condition that needs to have operator or process attention - things like interface down or route flapping, etc.

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies