cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

More than 5 line vty on a 3640 router

j.nielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to increase more than 5 line vty on a 3640 router running IOS 12.1(11) ?

6 Replies 6

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

Use line vty xxx (xxx being the numerical value of vty lines) in global configuration to set the number of lines to use. line vty ? will tell you how many you can configure but I think it’s in the hundreds (sorry, don’t have a 3600 in my lab to test it on).

Hi Doyle

I have already tried this - and my router says the

following : line vty <0-4> !!!!

Any other suggestions ?

There are only 5 VTY lines availalble for telnet access to any IOS router. These are numbered from 0 to 4. You can configure either one or a range of these. You can allow or restrict access to them, however, you cannot increase or decrease how many VTYs you have.

jpelletier
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with mssearle, I'm just about certain that you cannot increase the number(0 thru 4), I have worked with this and have found it to be true.

That first post was correct, just type

line vty XX

and the vty's will be added. You will see them listed seperately in the config

ie.

line vty 0 4

line vty 5 9

works every time.

Actually it doesn't work every time. On some devices you need the "Enterprise" image if you wish to support more than 5 vty lines.

Here is my source for this info.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/129/28.shtml#4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: