cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving to a new building

jlarkham
Level 1
Level 1

I am writing this as a sanity check. Any comments are welcome.

We are getting ready to move into a new building. I am trying to plan the move.

We operate 24/7 so we need to keep everything running during the move. We have a computer room with about 200 computers and 170 employees. We have 6 different VLANs. I was thinking of getting a T3 (0r two) between the two buildings and then bridging the VLANs to the new building. We currently have a Cat 5500 with an RSM as the core. The RSM routes the VLANs

For hardware I was thinking of a couple of 7206 routers with several fast Ethernet interfaces each. One for each Vlan. With this in place I should be able to move desktop PCs/ computers to the other building without having to change anything. Assuming I connect them to the right VLAN in the new building.

Will this work? I'm I missing anything? Is the 7206 a good choice? Is there a better way?

Thanks

Jeff

6 Replies 6

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

In the T3 Interface we have to create channelized sub-interfaces. Each sub-interface should be connected to a VLAN. And the channelized sub-interfaces should be bridged from the respective VLAN to the other end, so that the VLAN will not be mingled.

Thanks, for the info.

Jeff

john-lucero
Level 1
Level 1

There are a lot of considerations before this could be answered. But a least cost very flexable solution might be to find out if it would be possible to get a pair of dark fiber provided by a local telco or cable provider (single mode fiber). Get a couple of small catalyst switches 3500 series with LX GBIC modules one switch for each end.

Interface the two switches with the 5500 via ISL trunk over fast Ethernet TX. (Gig if possible but would need two more LX GBICS) Trunk the two 3500 switches over the fiber.

You need a router on both sides to keep routing going. I assume that you were planning on keeping ther routting going with one of the 7206's once the old building went off line.

This is just an idea. Everything depends on what kind of hardware you have, distance between buildings, and especialy on what you are comfortable with.

Dark fiber, I wish! The building we are moving to is many miles away. Verizon could do it if they wanted too, but I have had no luck with them on the issue. Thanks for the idea.

Jeff

Yea the telcos are bad about wanting to do this. The local tv cable companies will be more willing. Distance is always an issue. If you want to go ZX modules you have 62 miles.

We have Verizon and Worldcom (MFS) fiber in the current building. At the new building we have Verizon and AT&T. So I figured Verizon is the only one that could do it, without having to get more fiber pulled. I was toying with the idea of having one of our vendors like Savvis order it for me. I figure they have more clout than me. Not sure if they will go for it. As for the distance, it is 25 miles driving.

Jeff