Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS and HSRP CPE sites

jess.danielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to find some configuration examples for a setup where a PE connects to two CPE 6500 switches that uses MHSRP between multiple VLAN's. Now my fear is to introduce a routingloop since both CPE switches connects to the PE and the routing protocol between PE and the CPE's are EIGRP.

1)Do I need to worry ?

2) Where do I find some configuration examples ?

1 Reply 1

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

EIGRP has its own mechanisms like Split-horizon and Feasible distance to prevent routing loops . With split-horizon is should be possible to prevent loops between neighbors. With Feasible distance, the EIGRP router will check whether the Advertised distance from a particular neighbor is less than its Feasible distance and if so it will select that neighbor as either a successor or feasbile successor. If there is a routing loop, the advertised distance through that neighbor will be greater than the feasible distance. So I think EIGRP can prevent routing loops using these mechanisms. If you are still worried about loops you can use some route filtering techniques like distibute-lists. You can check these links for HSRP which could throw some light about your requirement :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk365/tk321/tech_protocol_home.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: