Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MPLS and IEEE 802.1q Trunking

I am running an MPLS VPN prototype on a group of 3640's and 7206s. It all works like a dream except for one issue. I am attempting to use dot1q VLAN trunking on an Ethernet interface. I created two sub-interfaces and have assigned them each to their own respective VRF, and have assigned them each their own IP networks. The routes are distributed to all other routers in the VRF via BGP and each sub-interface shows up when performing a "sh ip vrf"; however, neither interface shows up in the MPLS forwarding table nor can I can use "ping VRF" to reach either interface. When looking at the CEF properties of each interface it appears that tags are being assigned; however, they do not show up in the MPLS forwarding table. If I move the VRFs off of the sub-interfaces to straght interfaces everything works great. I have tried both 12.2.5 and 12.1-5T9, no difference in functionality. Any assitance is greatly appreciated. How do I get these sub-interfaces to be assigned in the MPLS forwarding table ??????

3 REPLIES

Re: MPLS and IEEE 802.1q Trunking

I think you're hosed, Brother.

For those of you who might be interested in the resolution of this problem. The problem was resolved by implementing FastEthernet interfaces. As mentioned above, the environment was a prototype and the routers were using Ethernet interfaces. Although the interfaces would except the MPLS and dot1q commands none of the interface information was making it into the MPLS forwardinding table and thus not working. Replacing the interfaces with FastE interfaces resolved the problem.

Trunking is only available on FE or GE.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content