cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS and Multicast

cmata
Level 1
Level 1

Iam building an Optical Ethernet Multiservice Network, that will provive services like Telephony IP, Multicast Video, Video on Demand, and Internet.

Recently I listen a lot about MPLS, that is an excellent technology, but my doubts and question come when I try to put both technologies:

Multicast distribution and MPLS togheter, looking in Internet I Found docs, that MPLS is not totally support Multicast enviroments, and viceversa,can you help me, please.

3 Replies 3

thanhhuong-tran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What do you mean ? MPLS and Multicast .

Multicast for MPLS/VPN maybe . try to see draf-rosen-mvpn-00.txt

isachen
Level 1
Level 1

The point of this issue is - do all the "edge" MPLS switches support ICMP snooping or CGMP? If answer is yes, the Multicast distribution will be supported over this MPLS network. If not, vise versa.

You have to be very careful on building Multicast network through Ethernet over SONET. Some of the Ethernet over SONET equipments do NOT fully support Multicast traffic.

Ok, basically this MAN no contain Sonet, all traffic is over Ethernet, FastEthernet, gigaetherner, etc, and all edge L3-Switch support IGMP v2, and PIM for distribucion of Multicast, and QoS, basically Iam worry about video service, I have doubs about if I put MPLS, I will lose all the properties of multicast delevery,

For example image that I have 100 users seeig a HBO channel, all behind of edge L3-switch, what happend with MPLS, each user is a tunnel?, or or is only one tunnel?, that the edge switch must distribute between my 100 users, One more thing, the 100 users behind the L3-Switch, they are connected in L2-Switches, and this Stacks of L2-siwtches are connected to the edge L3-switches, this L2-Switch support IGMP snooping, IGMP proxy, and the end users(for this specifically video service) are Set-Top boxes runnin IGMP V2.