Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

mpls network

is it possible for me to set up a mini mpls network between my 2 routers, what is mpls used for ?

9 REPLIES

Re: mpls network

Hi Carl

MPLS is mostly deployed in SP networks only for the benefits it brings in.

Also you have hardware prerequisite before getting the same configured in your boxes.

do refer this link for more info on the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6557/products_ios_technology_home.html

regds

are they easy to set up, is it possible to set up between 2 routers ?

Hi Carl

Its easy to setup the same between 2 routers provided your routers supports MPLS.

regds

can you possibly give me an example of this, and poss a very easy explanation how it works ?

Hi

Following are the basic config lines which is required to be done in the routers to have mpls enabled.

1. mpls ip (global mode and on interface mode using which you connect the other mpls enabled router)

2.mpls label protocol ldp (global mode config)

3. mpls mtu (interface mode so that it can carry packets of more than 1500 bytes size)

In addition to that you can configure mpls ldp router-id which is similar to coniguring your router id in IGP (osfp,eigrp etc.,).

Also you can configure authentication while forming LDP neighborship using the below command

mpls ldp neighbor password ip address password

regds

I thought you have to add a label to the network your on ?

Hi Carl

There are few prequistie before enabling MPLS in your router.

You need to have CEF enabled in your router so that you have FIB in place.

Also an IGP which is normally configured between the peers so that the labels for the networks in the IGP process can be generated.

regds

I think there is no meaning to set up MPLS between two routers only as its main benefit over ip is that not every router need to ip lookup while sending packet. if u r using two routers only then one router will lookup to ip packet and assign implicit null label to outgoing packet because your destination will be definately connected to your second router as u have only two router.

or it is useful if u wanna VPN customer from your router or ATM or Frame-relay service

ok?

for more information read to basics of MPLS

give me your mail id i will send u .PPT file

regards!

Mahesh

Thanks Mahesh

my mail is carl_t@coop.co.uk

Views
Helpful
Replies