Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MRTG - mesure which ip-address (client) use which traffic over the router

Hi all,

I'm looking for a MRTG config file.

I will mesure the in / outbound traffic at my cisco router.

The first graph display the total traffic over the router (in / outbound). That´s not the problem but.

The second graph display the traffic over the same router. But it only display the traffic that used from a definite ip-address (in / outbound)

I will display which ip-address use which traffic over the router!

If anyone have this, or can help me please send me a mail.

Best Regards

Thorsten Kunze

2 REPLIES

Re: MRTG - mesure which ip-address (client) use which traffic ov

I don't know if you can set this up on the router itself or not. I don't think so because traffic is simply measured with bytesin and bytesout if I recall correctly. However, if the machine on which your specific IP resides has full SNMP support, you can probably just specify the IP (and the community) in the config file just as you would do for the router interface. At a minimum, depending on what type of machine you are trying to track, you might be able to get away with running a localhost instance of MRTG. Perhaps you could then set up an MRTG server on your network so you can collect the results on a central machine, but to be honest I have no idea how to do it (I do know that it can be done).

Re: MRTG - mesure which ip-address (client) use which traffic ov

I don't think you can do this at the router using MRTG. What I do is measure the statistics on the switches where the workstations/switches are plugged into. When I see a spike on the router MRTG graphs, I can then look at the switch port graphs and match what port is doing the 'talking'. For you to get that information 'out' of the router would be pretty CPU intensive. As the router would have to disassemble the packet to log source and destination packets. Sure, it does this to route packets (DUH), but the added overhead to do what you're asking would not be a trivial thing. Your best solution (if you've positively got to do this) would be to mirror the connection going to the router and dump that traffic into a server that can analyze the packets. Even this is difficult if you are passing large amounts of data. You might look into Netmetrix from Agilant. I use that, and it makes beautiful relational graphs of what node is doing what talking and how much traffic is being passed. You will need a RMON probe for this to really work well.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content