Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

msfc tries to boot from tftp server

After a failed ios upgrade that had problems i reverted back to my old stable image, when the problems continued i decided to erase the config, boot up and then replace the config which i had backed up.

However when i re-booted and consoled in to the msfc i found the following error

%SYS-6-READ_BOOTFILE_FAIL: tftp://255.255.255.255/bootflash:c6msfc2-ds-mv.121-2.E.bin

and the msfc booted to the bootloader image, i do not know why this is happening as i have enterd the following staements in the config , which i saved before re-booting:

boot system bootflash:c6msfc2-ds-mz.121-2.E.bin

boot bootldr bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-2.E

i have cleared and re-entered these statements a couple of times but with the same result, i have also made an interface active and tested connectivity to a tftp server, saved the image and re-booted but it comes up with tftp timeout errors, but i do not want it to try tftp i want it to boot from bootflash as it did before.

This is an msfc on the standby supervisor, the msfc on the active supervisor is working fine with the same ios and boot statements.

I have asked a member of tech support at my cisco supplier but he has never heard of this before, any ideas?

regards

mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: msfc tries to boot from tftp server

Hi, was the ds-mv in the image name a typo? It should be ds-mz...

Failing that, sw con to the msfc and get it to boot to rommon> from there amend the BOOT and BOOTLDR variables, making sure the variables you enter are the only ones present in the string by the set command, then use sync command to save the changes.

hth

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi, was the ds-mv in the image name a typo? It should be ds-mz...

Failing that, sw con to the msfc and get it to boot to rommon> from there amend the BOOT and BOOTLDR variables, making sure the variables you enter are the only ones present in the string by the set command, then use sync command to save the changes.

hth

Well spotted, i did what you said anyway and it booted to the right image but without me noticing the typo.

Thats what you get for getting up at 3.00am.

thanks anyway

mark

Bronze

Excellent. Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers,

Ross

Views
Helpful
Replies