Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

MSFC

i am really new to 4500 and 6500 series switches.....just wondering whats is the use of MFSC module and supervisor engine module on these switches and whats the difference btw them....thanks in advance

4 REPLIES

Re: MSFC

HI

MSFC is u r layer 3 engine which is used for routing functionality in u r switch.

it actually depends on what kind of switch u r using.SUP is responsible for layer 2 switching.

MSFC is installed as a sub-module in SUP

Thnaks

Mahmood

mahmood

i am using 6509 and 4506....switches.......so what abt that IOS.....is it a dual ios or single one.....like someone told me that MFC will be using IOS and `SUP will be using catOS??? and in some it only uses iOS??? so i am totally confused

6509 and 4506 switch can have native IOS or CatOS.

CatOS means that there will be 2 IOS on switch. one IOS for SUP and one for MSFC.

In Native IOS you will have single image/IOS for both SUP and MSFC like your cisco routers.

Hi Quroo,

Supervisor engine can either run CatOS or IOS, but MSFC runs only on IOS, CatOS is an Hybrid OS, by default these switches supervisor engine will come with preloaded CatOS on the switch if you wanted to load IOS you will need to do that. To say in simply, basically these switches will hav two OS, 1 for switching(Sup) & other for Routing(MSFC).

MSFC stands for Multi Switch Feature Card.

hope this helps.

rate this post if cleared.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content