cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSFC2 Error on Catalyst 6509

marmour
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 6509 with the WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE and the WS-F6K-MSFC2. When I do a show mod, the Multilayer Switch Feature display "no Other". If I do a show port on 15 it displays the port in state "errdisable". I try to enable or even disable the port but it states it is not a feature on the module. When I session the the daughter card, there are no interfaces listed. Is there a fix to get this port out of this state?

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My guess is that the msfc is stuck in rommon . From the supervisor issue the "switch console" command and this should get you into the msfc , if not then you probably have a major msfc problem .

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

HI Marmour,

There can be couple of reasons why MSFC show you in other state.

1) A corrupted Cisco IOS Software image

2) A misseated bootflash

3) The drop of the MSFC or MSFC2 to ROM monitor (ROMMON)

4) MSFC not properly seated on supervisor

Check this link out

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa9.shtml

This link will guide you how to recover MSFC from any of the above mentioned problem.

If you are not able to recover msfc with the above link I am afraid your msfc might have gone bad and you have to get your sup + msfc RMAed.

Hope for the best and best of luck!!

Regards,

Ankur

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the trunk port 15/1 is err-disabled, try to reset the MSFC after issuing "switch console"(you need to be on console port of the sup to do this). Normal reasons for MSFC trunk to err-disable

1)Transient issue

2)Some configuration on module 15. Issue a "clear config 15" if you can. You might get a message saying "module not online"

3)Bad hardware.