Views
Helpful
Replies

MST configuration

danilo.dicesare
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

a question....i've don't understand why i may need to use different region in MST.

How i can connect 2 region?

Could you give me a little example (also 4 switch...) whith MST, 2 region and 2 instance for region...i've not foud good config example e i'd like to know :)

THK anyway and have a nice day

Dani

2 Replies 2

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

There is a example config which details on changing the spanning tree alogorithm from PVST+ to MST. This will help you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807b075f.shtml

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dani,

The goal is to try using a single MST region in fact. That's when you can get the full potential of MST. However, the protocol has to handle the case where it's not possible (because of some administrative reasons, misconfiguration or interaction with legacy STP versions for instance). Everything is handled transparently by MST, whether all the bridges are in the same region or not. It's just that you will not be able to do vlan load balancing between regions: MST falls back to using a single STP instance at the boundary between regions.

Regards,

Francois