Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Multi-Vlan ports

Does the Catalyst 2960G supports multi-vlan ports ?

10 REPLIES

Re: Multi-Vlan ports

No, multi-vlan concept was in 2900XL/3500XL. This 2960 platform or any catalyst from 2950 and above does not support multi-vlan, it does however, support trunking. what is the goal for multi-vlan support on a port?

Please rate all posts.

Community Member

Does the 2948G support muli-vlan ports? You mentioned what is the goal for multi-vlan support on a port...My instance would be when you need to use a media transeiver Ex. setting up a trunk between a 5500 and the 2948G. This is being done to to setup wireless on one vlan and data on another.

No, 2948G or 5500 does not support multi-vlan on a port. You can trunk them. What is the goal of having multi-vlan? Maybe if the goal is known we can offer another solution, I am assuming trunk should do it.

Please rate all posts.

Community Member

I got mixed up on that last question. I can trunk vlans from the 5500 to the 2948G right? Span vlans from the 5500 to the 2948G using a media transeiver on the 2948G? 100FX (5500) to the media transeiver on the 2848G setting up a trunk up in this fashion?

Is that correct?

Community Member

I need to transfer data from several VLANS to one single port (server).

does it mean that u wanted to allow few vlans in trunking ports instead of allowing all vlans?

Community Member

Hi,

Need to tranfer data from several VLANS to a single port (server)

Yes, this would be multi-vlan unless that server can do dot1q, I am afraid you will have to either get a hold of 2900XL or do a dual NIC on that server.

The multi-vlan feature was originally supported on the early 2900XL hardware since the asics used at the time did not support ISL or dot1q encapsulation. When the new 2900XL hardware and the 3500XL were release they had asics that did support ISL and dot1q encapsulation (due to customer demand) and so multi-vlan support was no longer required. A decision was made to keep the multi-vlan feature available for these platforms, so that customers with a mix of 'older' 2900xl and newer 2900xl and 3500xl hardware could configure them the same (investment protection). So, now the multi-vlan support is not longer available for 2950 on up on any catalyst switch.

Please rate all posts.

Community Member

if your hav a layer 3 switch & all the vlans are created in that, by enabling "ip routing" YES ofcourse all vlans can access your server. assuming that Server is in vlan 2, rest of them in vlan 3,4,5.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content