cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast, Equal-cost paths & RPF checks.......

In a typical campus network with layer-3 core & distribution layers and a layer-2 access layer and lots of equal-cost paths we have a situation with multicast (PIM-SM).

The distribution layer is provided by two 7600 routers running HSRP & PIM-SM - say Distribution-Router-A has the highest IP address and is the PIM & IGMP DR for the Access-Layer VLAN, Distribution-B is the IGMP querier.

When a sender begins transmitting to a group the DR (Distribution-A) unicasts a register to the RP connected to the Core (separate router). The RP then joins the shared tree back to the source, due to the equal-cost paths this join turns-up on the non-DR router for the VLAN - the RP sent a PIM join to Core-2, Core-2 has equal-cost paths to the source VLAN via Distribution-A and Distribution-B and it just so happens the next-hop to Distribution-2 has the higher IP address so this is chosen as the RPF.

My question is this - is this supposed to happen? how does the non PIM-DR for the VLAN handle this ? Is it OK?

This is all in the design-stage at the moment so I'm open to suggestions.

Andy

4 Replies 4

m.singer
Level 4
Level 4

The following links I hope will give an idea for your queries

IP Multicast Load Splitting Across Equal Cost Paths

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/techno/protocol/ipmu/prodlit/ipmul_an.htm

How to Configure a RP for PIM Sparse Mode

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/rppim_rg.htm

Why Auto-RP and How to Deploy It Painlessly

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/techno/protocol/ipmu/prodlit/yauto_an.htm

I have lots of information on PIM, Auto-RP, Anycast etc etc The problem is I can't find anything on CCO that explains the situation I describe. Equal-cost paths yes, but not with 2 routers on a common Ethernet Segment and equal-cost paths as this introduces the PIM & IGMP DR. There is something described regarding the Non-RPF router scenario and CEF fast dropping but this specific problem at the moment is a mystery.

Anyone?

g.pelt
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a problem that it's not working? I did not understand your question 100%

For design-stage it's useful to have:

The HSRP address on the highest IP address so PIM DR and HSRP is on same box.

There is a command that you can configure the DR on the box you like, but I don't no what the command is or in what ios version its in.

Regards

Gerrit Frans

Gerrit

My question was just to clarify that there should not be a problem when a non PIM/IGMP DR router that is directly connected to sources and/or receivers is actively forwarding traffic onto the network due to equal-cost unicast-routing paths and PIM's path selection technique of highest IP address if there are equal-cost paths. I wanted to know if the DR would 'object' to this happening, or would it cause a problem with paths not being pruned off?

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: