cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast on a one-way link

jcreekbaum
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a need to send Multicast data over a back to back Cisco Connection using a frame Relay Sub Interface. I only have a Cisco 3640 on both ends of a link that is a two way connection but the Multicast data needs to be multicasted over a one way satellite link. The Problem I have is I do not have any remote clients to sent the multicast requests, they are all at the end of a receive only satellite link. Is there a way to setup the cisco's to receive the Multicast data from the ethernet of one router, send it only on the one Frame Relay Subinterface and then out the Ethernet at the other end of the link without having a client request the data ? I just want to stream it out.

Any help is greatly welcomed.

2 Replies 2

don.marais
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you can force Cisco router sub-interfaces to join the multicast groups by configuring static join commands. These routers will then always be members of the multicast groups and will forward the streams without any join requests.

Don,

Thanks, I came across the join command last night and it did work. I do have one follow up just to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I placed the join command at the furthest most Ethernet Interface that I wanted the mulitcast data to go to, is there a need to place the join command on the sub-interfaces between the two end points ? of just the final distination.

Thanks again for the help.

Jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: