Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast PIM SM mode with tibco RdV configuration design

pbichon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We need to implement PIM SM on our core routers. We have many clients using Tibco middleware applications. Hence we don't have centralised source but each client application workstation will be considered as source for the multicast group by PIM enabled routers.

What are Cisco recommendation in terms of number of (S,G) or (*,G) entries in multicast routing tables? Maximum? Any limitations?

What is the size of one entry in memory?

Since there can be many hosts, multicast entries in routing tables will change a lot constantly. Do you recommend shortest path tree or not with Tibco RendezVous in order to limit (S,G) entries?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Pierre Bichon

2 Replies 2

sphillip
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pierre,

TIBco RVd is a fairly intensive protocol depending upon the number of clienst and groups you are thinking of configuring. Here are some answers

Cisco router devices can hold several thousand (s,g) and (*,g) routing entries and we have written several improvements into code that improves the performance of the control characteristics of the PIM protocol.

However, the problem that starts to creep in is how to I manage and troubleshoot several thousand entries? The answer is you probably want to manage the figure down to a smaller value if at all possible.

Memory utilisation is 220Bytes+OIL for (s,g) entries and 380Bytes+OIL for (*,g) entries. Each OIL entry is ~150Bytes.

Depending upon the amount of entries in the network, I would use scoped addresses and shortest path trees, or Bi-Dir PIM. However, this will depend on the platforms you have, performance, etc and would need to understand more about your network before making any recommendations.

I would suggest contacting your Cisco SE for more information and design assistance. I'm happy to help out via email, but your account SE will be able to gather information and assist in a more timely fashion.

HTH - stevep@cisco.com

We have RP as C6500 MSFC2 and backbone routers 7200VXR.

Roughly it will be 250 clients for 3 multicast groups. But since we're using Tibco, each client will be source as well (aknowledgement messages).

I think that we shouldn't have router performance issues. But as you pointed out, managing and troubleshooting might be a bit unreadable because of the number of entries.

These settings will be "backed up" on another RP synchronised with MSDP in another building for redundancy purpose.

Do you see any drawback with the numbers of multicast entries (S,G) we would have (around 300)?

Thanks for your help,

Pierre

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: