Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multicast problems on catalyst 2950 v12.1(9)EA1

Hello.

I have the following scenario:

2 Firewall1in load-balance - FW1 and FW2

2 catalyst 2950 48 ports with 12.1(9) EA1 version - SW1 and SW2

FW1 is plugged to SW1 by trunk on interface G0/1, FW2 is plugged to SW2 by trunk on interface G0/1 and between switches there is a trunk fyber link on interface G0/2 on each switch.

The ip igmp snooping feature is disabled and multicast mac-addresses are statically defined on interfaces G0/1 and G0/2 on each switch.

It seems to me that if i have a PC connected to SW1, packets arrive to FW1 with right tagging on correct VLAN and to FW2 without tag.

Hence, FW2 will discard the packets and connectivity will be lost.

With 2 FW and just one switch everything works well. This scennario drives me to point to a multicast problem or a bug not reported on these

release.

Do you advice any workaround?

Maybe an upgrade to new version 12.1(12c)EA1...

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Multicast problems on catalyst 2950 v12.1(9)EA1

An upgrade would be a good idea if you feel the problem is possibly due to a bug.

However the following doc on Multicast Troubleshooting might help you rule out any possible problems.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk363/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094b55.shtml

Hi

You expect the multicast will be send bi-directional over a single link. This will introduce a classic bridge loop and is not permitted, even this is recommended by some FW suppliers!

Regard’s Andy

I have the same scenario working with catalyst 3550 L3 with just layer 2 !!

Beside this all gigabit ports of the catalyst 2950 are in forwarding state so, i think this is not a loop problem and i didn't detect any blocked state. The Firewalls should prevent eventual loops!!!!

Thanks Nuno

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content