Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Multicast question about RP.

Hello all,

I'm setting up my first multicast configuration and I'm trying to find out some answers to the follwing question: When configuring auto-rp with PIM sparse mode, is it necessary to configure all routers as auto-rp?

Best regards.

Rui

3 REPLIES

Re: Multicast question about RP.

Auto-RP really works best when you're running PIM sparse-dense-mode rather than pure PIM sparse-mode.

Using sparse-dense-mode all you need to do is enable it on all router interfaces and then on your Auto-RP RP Candidates and Mapping Agent(s) you add the

ip pim send-rp-announce ...

ip pim send-rp-discovery ...

commands.

This way the two groups used by Auto-RP become dense mode groups, and you provide RP for the groups specified on your RP Candidate routers which puts them in sparse mode

For pure sparse-mode it gets a little more complicated.

You need to somehow provide a static RP for the two groups used by Auto-RP.

Alternately you can use PIM BSR which works with no further config in a pure sparse-mode network.

Just apply the following commands to your RP and BSR candidate(s):

ip pim bsr-candidate ...

ip pim rp-candidate ...

You'll find excellent examples on how to configure a PIM RP for PIM Sparse Mode and pros and cons at:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/rppim_rg.htm

Hello,

I had a look at the documentation, but I still have a question.

These two commands:

ip pim send-rp-announce ...

ip pim send-rp-discovery ...

aren't configured on each router in the sample. Is it normal?

I assume that this command should only be configured on the routers that are candidates RP routers and ths other routers doesn't need any configuration, just the ip pim sparse-dense-mode on the interfaces that need to run multicast.

Regards.

Rui

You've got it absolutely right!

These two commands should only be configured on the candidate RP routers.

All other routers should just have "ip pim sparse-dense-mode" on the interfaces running multicast.

Views
Helpful
Replies