Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multicasting on C2950

We use multicasting to image lab computers. It works fine with stacks of C3500XL switches with their default configuration. It didn't work in a stack that had 3500s and C2950s. Is there a difference in the default multicast configurations on the 3500s and 2950s? If so, how do I configure the 2950 like a default 3500.

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Multicasting on C2950

I guess you cannot configure this way...

Hi,

there have been many discussions on this forum how to prevent multicasts fooding your network.

Most of them were about Symantec Ghost application.

My recommendation is

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.ee93165/7#selected_message

Regards,

Milan

The 2950 supports IGMP Snooping instead of CGMP like the 3500XL (& 2900XL). IGMP Snooping is enabled by default so the switch will try and keep multicast flows only where they are needed. The 3500XL only supports CGMP and this is Disabled by default so multicast flows will flood every switch port within the VLAN. The 2950 only has support for IGMP Snooping and doesn't support CGMP, I suppose a quick fix would be to disable IGMP snooping and let the multiast flood all ports in the VLAN.

I suggest a better approach would be to take a more detailed look at your multicast environment and your requirements and then design and configure your switches & routers accordingly.

Andy

Views
Helpful
Replies