Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multicasting?

One of our tech guys wants to do software updates on the LAN to several clients at a time. I can see where the server will have to send mutliple copies of this update since it has to reach different users. Is there not a way to use Multicasting so the server only needs to send ONE copy and then it gets dispersed at the appropriate switch? I am not currently doing any VLANs or routing on this LAN.

3 REPLIES

Re: Multicasting?

Yes you can use multicasting in this case.

To use multicasting, not only your network should be configured for multicasting, but also your client and server should support multicasting.

Thanks. Have you done this? In all of the documentation, it talks about using routers, etc. I only have one router (for wan access) and the rest is switches. How does Multicasting work in these cases?

Green

Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition does use multicasting for getting/sending images, but it doesn't sound like you want to image complete disks-at-once.

What kind of updates is he looking to do, and does he (or you) have any specific applications in mind for doing it?

Managing the multicasts is less-than rocket science, writing applications to do the multicast is a different story...

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content