Views
Helpful
Replies

Multilink PPP over two parallel ethernet links

b.shoresh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I would like to connect two routers via two parallel ethernet links (with cross cables). I need this link to load-balance between the two links (like ppp multilink does on serial).

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

randyhorn
Level 1
Level 1

Link state routing protocol dude. OSPF or ISIS will work just dandy. The algorithms involved in path selection for link state routing protocols will choose the best path based on bandwidth and metrics (there are other factors but these are the main ones) due to the nature of the algorithms, the link will automatically load balance itself if the speed, metrics, and routes are the same over 2 links.

k2ua
Level 1
Level 1

You can load balance with static routes. (You can verify this with traceroute.) You can also use EIGRP or IGRP as a routing protocol across the two Ethernet segments, as both do equal-cost load balancing by default (and both can be configured for unequal-cost load balancing using the 'variance' command). OSPF doesn't support load balancing.

I stand corrected--it was unequal cost load balancing that I had in mind. Apologies.