cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Catalyst 3550's

itchyfish
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I've recently received 3 of the Catalyst 3550's and I am unsure of how to connect the 3 of them together to share 1 IP address. I have purchased the 1000Base-SX Fibre modules to connect the fiber to the first switch, but cannot figure out how to get the other 2 to communicate with it. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thank you for your help.

Mike

6 Replies 6

smithm228
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike,

Catalyst 3550's support Cluster Management Suite (CMS) Software, it is Web-based network management software.

I never use CMS, if your top switch fails, you do not have any way of accessing the switches below it remotely.

Here is a link explaining CMS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_data_sheet09186a00800913ce.html

Mike

I have seen this in the manual - this is the software portion to cluster them together - what I need is the hardware portion to interconnect them together. Thank you for the help.

Mike

There are a couple of ways to do this. You can purchase additional SX GBICS, TX GBICS, or just use crossover cables to connect via fast ethernet ports (bear in mind that you will be limited to 100 Mb if you do this).

Thank you very much for the info - it's a great help! :)

Mike

Thank you very much for the info .. it's a tremendous help!

Mike