cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple IOS images in flash

jghatfield
Level 1
Level 1

I've managed to get my hands on a 7200 series router at the company I work for that isn't currently being used. Just to test a few things out on pretty much. The flash memory on this router has two versions of the IOS loaded and I want to know how to tell the router to boot a specific one. Found something that says they are booted in the order they are listed until one is loaded successfully. The older version is listed before the newer one. How would I change the order they are listed in so it will try to boot the newer image first?

2 Replies 2

Hello,

you can use the command:

boot system flash slotx:[filename]

and specify the IOS you want to boot. After rebooting the router, the IOS specified with that command will be loaded...

HTH,

GP

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jared

The command that you are looking for is the boot system command. The boot system command will specify the particular image to try to boot and over rides the default behavior of booting the first image listed. You can configure multiple boot system commands, so that you can specify which one to try first, which one to try second, and so forth.

The syntax of the command may vary a little depending on where your flash is. On a 7206 router I have this command: boot system disk0:c7200-ik9s0mz.123-8.T4.bin if your image is not on disk0 then you would substitute whatever device was holding the image.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: