cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple ISPs, eMail port 25, NewsPosts port 119 and routers.

w2jo
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ADSL lines coming from two different ISPs for redundancy. However, there is a problem with the posting of OUTBOUND email and newsgroup postings through my present two WAN port router. I can only bind the outbound traffic to one of the two ISP (WAN) ports.

Since the two ISPs require different mail and news server ID, different USER IDs and different passwords, I presently have no method for automatic transfer of outbound mail services in case of failure of the primary ISP's link.

Which of Cisco's routers have the ability to remember and use specific email and news server names/user IDs/passwords with traffic going out specific WAN ports?

Thanks

Joe

2 Replies 2

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

I think this has to be sorted using your own e-mail server, as ISP e-mail server will not permit other ISP traffic to pass through their link. Also you should have your own DNS server.

Good idea! In fact, I do have my own mail server and also have complete control of DNS for my incoming traffic. Unfortunately, my problem is on the OUTGOING email. The email server I have has only one place to put an SMTP server address and my NexLand router has no ability to "steer" the outgoing SMTP traffic while changing the SMTP server address/password, etc. (nor, as far as I can figure out does the Mikrotik Router).

I am beginning to think the best place to implement a change would be in the mail server but actually I can solve that by simply using a 3rd party mail relay operating on some port other than 25. The news server problem can (I think) also be solved by using a 3rd party news server, but both these solutions are expensive.

Thanks for the comments.. I am guessing that since no answers were forthcoming that this problem has no easy solutions.

Joe