Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Multiple OSPF process in a single router

What is the use to run multiple OSPF processes in a single router?

I typed "sh ip ospf database" and found that only one process id provided me all "RL", "SL" and "ASBR SL" information, while all other process id(s) seem not working, (i.e. no links information).

If I remove the "working" process ID by typing "no router ospf 1". I expected the next process id in my running-config took the role of the "process ID 1".

However, I waited for a long time and no OSPF convergence occurred. I typed "sh ip route" and no intra or inter links were observed.

In my router (2651XM, 2600-ik8o3s-mz-122.12.bin), I configured two process IDs: 1 and 2. They are all identical in my configuration.

I "expected" that two identical OSPF databases running properly in each router for changeover purposes in future.

Rgds

Bruce IP

1 REPLY

Re: Multiple OSPF process in a single router

Bruce...

Multiple instances of OSPF usually find a lot of applications in VRFs and MPLS networks.

ALso when you have two companies that merge together...assuming both were running OSPF..you can have multiple instances of OSPF and have a controlled redistribution of routes between the two processes.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content