cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLAN's on Catalyst 2924 XL

tjerkins
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to have 2 or more VLAN's simultaneously on a Catalyst 2924 XL switch? I have setup a second VLAN via the vlan database and set the state to active. Howerver, the subinterface is always administratively shutdown. I've tried to set the switchport access to the vlan ID for the ports I want it to be a part of and switchport mode to multi as well as issue the no shutdown command for the subinterface with no luck. What else do I need to do to get this up? Or am I wasting my time with this?

I kind of new to setting this stuff up so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..

5 Replies 5

daniel.bowen
Level 1
Level 1

You can have as many VLANs as you want on a 2924XL. Do you have the 2924XL as an access layer switch, uplinking to a larger Catalyst switch or is this your only one?

Daniel,

Right now this is my only one but eventually will be adding 1 more in the near future.

Can you explain in detail what you are calling a subinterface? Is it a vlan interface "interface vlan 2"? If so, there is only one vlan interface that is active on the switch and it can only be used for management of the switch. If you want to use vlan 2 as your management interface, type "management" under the vlan interface.

Also, the must be at least one port active in the vlan in order for the vlan to be active.

Correct. It is a vlan interface. So what I hear you saying is that I can have muiltiple vlan's on the switch but only use one of them at a time? My thinking was that I could have more than 1 and assign specific ports to each configured vlan. I have read the documentation that describes the management command and it appears that I need to shutdown vlan 1 to use vlan 2. If I'm off here I'd appreciate a brief explanation of what I'm missing.

Thanks for the post.

Seems you are asking about two different things here so we should clarify on each one. First on the vlan managment interface which is what was discussed in the first reply. You can have multiple of these but only one active. This is just a vlan interface created in config mode for managment of the switch. There is no routing here. This is just like assigning an IP address to a PC if you want to think of it like that. There is no where for subinterfaces on this switch that is normally done on the router interfaces for routing between vlans.

Second on the vlans themselves you can have all the vlans you want, well at least up to the limit of what the switch will hold which is 64 or maybe higher just check the release notes. To do this go into the vlan database and create the vlans as needed. Next go into the interface config and assign a vlan to the interface using the switchport command. This is a layer 2 interface and assigns that port to the vlan. As for using the "multivlan" we do not recommend this as the was a precursor to using trunking on the switch which is the recommended method today.