Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multiple VLANs and Catalyst XL switches

I recently added a 2924M-XL into the mix here and on it I created 2 VLANs. VLAN1 is for the traffice that all of the clients produce (class A subnet), and VLAN2 is the management VLAN (calss B subnet). I have connected the management VLAN (port 24 static access vlan 2) to my existing network (which is still a work in progress) on a 3524XL (port 4 VLAN 1 static access) so that I have visibility the stack for my existing network uses the same class B subnet as the management IP of the 2924. The existing network only has 1 VLAN used for both client traffic and management. I'm seeing a Native VLAN mismatch message obviously b/c of the new management VLAN2 on the new switch. What changes are necessary to 1) eliminate the messages, and 2) Move the management of the existing network to the new VLAN ID?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Multiple VLANs and Catalyst XL switches

This is a by-product of CDP - one of the parameters passed in CDPv2 is native VLAN of the port.

So there are really only two options:

- change the vlan membership on one or the other switch to match the connected switch membership (vlan 1-vlan 1 or vlan2-vlan2)

- disable cdp on those switch ports.

Note that in your configuration, there are two implications:

- it is annoying

- the vlan 1 spantree of your existing net is merged with the vlan 2 spantree of your new switch

This is not a "problem" per se, but is going to cause headaches later when troubleshooting etc.

Best to keep vlan IDs matched throughout.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content