cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLANs on a switchport

bedah
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CISCO 3640 and a Catalyst 2900 [configured with trunks] on the same LAN. I need to configure a switchport to belong to two VLANs so that both VLANs can move traffic inwards and outwards of the ethernet port of the router. Please give me the command construct on both the 2900 and the ethernet port of the 3640. rgds Bedah

5 Replies 5

catfisch
Level 1
Level 1

vlan membership i think.. or you could assign an ip to the switchs and hit it with your browser and configure it with the GUI.. -Catfisch

lordy
Level 1
Level 1

I have successed to config Multi-VLAN between router and switch(r2511 and c3524-xl).

You can do it as the following:

conf t

int fa 0/1

switchport mode multi

switchport multi vlan 1-3

exit

exit

=========

This can make vlan1,vlan2,and vlan3 move traffic inwards and outwards of fastethernet 0/1 port.

And fa 0/1 port on switch is connected to router's ethernet port.

mowtnman
Level 1
Level 1

You need to configure the interface of the switch to be in trunking mode. Trunks will enable the switch to carry all vlan traffic to the router whether inbound or outbound. And make sure the sub-interfaces on your router are identifying your vlans (i.e. 'encapsulation isl [valn#]) commands.

You are right if router's ethernet port supports dot1q or ISL.But many 10M ports do not support dot1q or ISL.So we should use Multi-VLAN.

If you look at the original question he is using 2 Cisco devices. ISL is a Cisco proprietary protocol so configuring a trunk port would suffice in this situation. And nowhere in his question is he limiting the port speed to 10M

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: