Views
Helpful
Replies

Muti-vlan network need to access a common networked server

mnewnam05
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a flat network (6500 core with 2950 accesses) consisting of multiple vlans. How do I allow devices on various vlans access to a common server they all interact with?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Nicholas Vigil
Level 1
Level 1

1. Create and configure VLANs on your 6500 and 2950 switches and assign VLAN membership to switch ports.

2. Create and configure VLAN interfaces for inter-VLAN routing on the MSFC in your 6500. Configure a VLAN interface for each VLAN for which you want to route traffic.

3. Set up trunk links between your 6500 and 2950 switches.

4. I would also recommend uing VTP to distribute your VLAN information between switches. Make the 6500 the VTP server and the 2950s VTP clients.

I hope these steps help you out.

If this information helps you please rate my post, thanks.

Thanks for the reply Nick. What do you think about this as a possible solution:

Dedicate a 2950 switch to connect the server and do not configure any VLANs on it. Connect the server directly to this switch and then make connections from this switch to an access port on the existing network for each VLAN which requires server connectivity.

The server connection to the switch would be configured as “unprotected” (switchport protected)while each port connecting to a VLANed access switch port would be configured “protected”. Protected ports do not communicate with each other. The server would be able to communicate with each of the protected ports patched to a VLANed access port but these protected ports would not be able to communicate with each other thus maintaining VLAN isolation.

Would this work?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: